Lakewood Estate - Steeped in History
Lakewood Estate was built by Frederick Purdy in 1895. Frederick was one of many Purdy family descendants that made their home far and wide across Westchester County. The Purdy family of Cortlandt (modern day Croton-on-Hudson) originally settled in the area in 1735. Purdy relatives to the South are noted as sharing their home in White Plains as headquarters for General George Washington in 1778. Financier J.M. Kaplan, a New York businessman known for “saving the grape juice industry” with ties to the Welch Grape Juice Company, purchased a considerable amount of land from Purdy in the early 1930’s, this includes the current day Lakewood Estate farmhouse.